Milan police defended themselves against footage showing Tiemoue Bakayoko being searched at gunpoint, saying the search was necessary given the dangerous situation unfolding at the time.
The incident involving the AC Milan midfielder, on loan from Chelsea, happened two weeks ago, but a video of it went viral on Monday after being posted on Twitter.
AC Milan said on Monday the search came after a shooting in the area at the time, with police issuing a statement to Reuters explaining their actions.
“It should be noted that the search took place in an operational context which justified the adoption of the highest security measures,” the statement said.
“Also depending on self-protection, and [it] took place in a manner absolutely consistent with the type of alarm in progress.
“Once the person has been identified and [it had been] established that he was not involved, the service resumed without any kind of remark from the concerned person.”
Bakayoko, 27, joined Milan on a two-year loan last summer, having also spent the 2018-19 campaign at San Siro.
He made 14 Serie A appearances last season as Milan won their first league title in 11 years.